- Dairy Products
Signs of allergies may include:
- Chewing feet
- Red ears and skin
- Ear and skin infections
- Hair loss
- Sneezing or coughing
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Rubbing against objects with any part of body
- Blood shot eyes and/or discharge from the eyes
- Diagnosis and treatment of this condition can be very easy to very difficult. This all depends on the individual animal. What affects one pet in one household may not have any affect on another animal in the exact same home etc. Methods of diagnosis may be one of the following:
- “Symptomatic” therapy with monitoring of the response – this usually is a short term solution with the condition reoccuring when the medications either no longer have an effect or the inciting agent is no longer avoided.
- Food allergy elimination diet – this may take 3-10 weeks to see results if followed very strictly according to recommendations
- Avoidance of possible allergen – this is usually impossible to achieve with complete satisfaction unless 100% avoidance is achieved
- Intradermal skin testing – has been the mainstay of allergy diagnosis but has limitations inluding cost, availability, and number of allergens that can be tested for in this manner
- Blood tests – very similiar to intradermal testing as far as cost and allergen limitations but it is the de la Houssaye Animal Hospitals experience that results are very similiar. It is also more convenient due to in house testing.
As with any condition, each of the above methods are not meant for every pet and some pets require more than one method for evaluation
Once the results are obtained, appropriate treatment can be formulated for the specific pet in question
If you feel your pet has allergic reactions and you are interested in diagnosis and treatment to improve your pets quality of life, call the dela Houssaye Animal Hospital.