- 1. Dachsunds
- Cocker spaniels
- other small breeds
This condition can affect other breeds as well as a result of trauma or genetic predisposition. Pets of all ages, and breeds including cats can be affected by this disease.
Signs of Intervertebral disc disease can include:
- Pain while walking
- Difficulty in climbing up or going down stairs
- Difficulty in jumping
- Difficulty in standing up
- falls down easily in the back end
- Back legs appear to be very weak
- When the pet stands, it is hunched over and moves slowly
- Is painful when picked up inder the chest or abdomen
- Can not control its urination or defication
This condition can range in severity from mild episodes to complete non use of the legs affected. Treatment is based on the severity on the condition and can range from an adjustment in activity to medication and even to the need of immediate emergency surgery.