The following schedule is recommended by the de la Houssaye Animal Hospital for all new puppies. We may adjust this schedule according to the presentation of the puppy.
- Parasite check and/or deworming at 3 weeks of age.
- Parasite check, 1st distemper/parvo vaccination,1st bordatella vaccination deworming and start heartworm prevention at 6 weeks of age.
- 2nd distemper/parvo vaccination, 2nd bordatella vaccination, possibly a deworming at 9 weeks of age.
- 3rd distemper/parvo vaccination, 3rd bordatella vaccination, rabies vaccination at 12 weeks of age.
- 4th distemper/parvo vaccination, 4th bordatella vaccination, female spay or male neuter at 16 weeks of age.
The de la Houssaye Animal Hospital recommends:
- Once a-month preventative until 6 months of age. Once your puppy reaches the age of 6 months, a new heartworm preventative can be used called Proheart 6. It is a once every 6 month injection, given in the same manner as a vaccination. It is only approved for the prevention of heartworms at hookworms at this time, and it is only approved for use in dogs.
- Reputable flea prevention products used correctly
- Tail docking if desired at 3-5 days of age.
- Ear cropping if desired between 12-16 weeks of age. This can be done at time of spay or neuter.
- A well balanced diet