- The de la Houssaye Animal Hospital will perform if desired, the procedure as early as 4 months of age.
- This procedure can be performed at the same time as a spay or neuter.
- Declawing of the back feet will only be done after consultation with the doctor first.
- The pet usually will go home the same day of surgery.
- The de la Houssaye Animal Hospital finds that discomfort is less when the procedure is done at a young age.
- Surgical adhesive is used in place of sutures, it’s more comfortable for the cat.
- Direct contact with the litter should be minimal for the first 3-5 days after surgery. This is achieved with shredded newspaper on top of the litter.
- The cat will be sent home after the surgery with a prescription of antibiotics and pain relief to help keep your pet comfortable as much as possible during the recovery period. We find that the recovery period is minimal if recommendations are followed as much as possible.
We would be happy to discuss this procedure with you at your convenience.